- A new Cub Scout starting in fall will pay about $275 in BSA fees and Pack dues total. If a family is struggling to pay for dues, they can request a needs based Campership through our Private Facebook Group form to offset up to $150. If you’d rather earn your $200 dues through popcorn sales fundraisers (you still pay $75), check out Pack 431 in Seminole.
- Scouts BSA is a nonprofit organization and all volunteer. All moneys collected flow back to the scouts as awards and program costs.
- Dues pay for awards and many activities.
- Pack 285 does not sell BSA popcorn or have any fundraisers scheduled. If added, fundraising will be elective and designated for a specific purpose, e.g. paying for summer camp for Scouts heading to the Troop (Middle/High school program).
Once you submit your membership payment through the Scouting.org website, you no longer pay to any organization other than Pack 285. The Pack collects dues and makes payments on your behalf every November for the January through December calendar year to keep your Scout’s BSA membership active.
Pack 285 charges membership dues per school year, August – July. Dues pay for patches, pins, awards, swag, Lock-Ins, Pinewood Derbies, special events, adult volunteer background checks, and the Pack 285 Campership (scholarship) program. Dues also pay for BSA membership, group insurance for meeting and camping activities, BSA campsites, 6 of which are within the Tampa Bay area, software and website services, training, and more.
- 4 types of dues:
- 1. Returning Scouts (August – July). Pack dues only.
- New 1st Semester School Year Scouts – BSA application fee paid online and Pack dues , 1st Semester option (includes Class B t-shirt)
- New 2nd Semester School Year Scouts – BSA application fee paid online and Pack dues, 2nd Semester option (includes Class B t-shirt)
- New Spring or Summer Scouts – this is a gap membership for Cubs only between mid-Spring semester and Fall semester (includes Pack t-shirt). This gap membership does NOT provide awards. These Scouts become New 1st Semester School Year Scouts in August and submit their BSA application.